Jump to content
The Unknown Ghosts

Recommended Posts

Posted

nice, remember when we were discussin these parts, you arent going for the ocz reapers i see. im going to go for the e6750 as well, then the asus P5E also teh freezer 7. Not sure bout which ram to get yet and for the case im gonna get the antec nine hundred or aerocool t40. Still saving up tho : /

Posted
Should have got a Q6600 though! Same price and overclckable to 3ghz easily!

Um, not same price - about 30-40 quid cheaper than the Q6600 G0 stepping, and the 6750 will overclock to 3.6ghz no problem with air cooling!

 

Plus I dont need a quad core for my "Internet/Email/Porn" downloading pc. :)

Posted
nice, remember when we were discussin these parts, you arent going for the ocz reapers i see. im going to go for the e6750 as well, then the asus P5E also teh freezer 7. Not sure bout which ram to get yet and for the case im gonna get the antec nine hundred or aerocool t40. Still saving up tho : /

 

Ho,

If your going for a gaaming rig then I would REALLY recommend a Q6600. They're well worth the extra few quid, and as some of the newer games are Quad Core optomised (Crysis and COD4 being the first) it makes a bit more sense. There's not a lot between the 2 CPU's yet, but that will more than likey change. Also, get a 1333mghz MB, or even wait for the true Penryn chips to come out. Current Quad cores are just 2 x Dual core, the CPU's comming out soon are true Quad core processors which will see a big jump in performance.

Hope you jump on the sever for a game of COD4 soon!!

Posted
Oh I misread the post.

 

Beaver, don't you think its a bit of overkill getting a rig like that for bloody email and stuff??

Is the RAM the "Ballistix" gear that I got? If so, it's awesome.

Hehe - no the ram is just the Corsair HDX (Dominator XMS2)

 

It's also gonna be used by Benny when he's here to play cod4 and I guess I can use it as a back-up gaming rig if I have issue with my main machine. :)

Posted
Hehe - no the ram is just the Corsair HDX (Dominator XMS2)

 

It's also gonna be used by Benny when he's here to play cod4 and I guess I can use it as a back-up gaming rig if I have issue with my main machine. :)

 

Wots the dif between ther ballistix and the HDX ?? ( I'm guessing nowt!)

Posted

Well, it was a fun night spending a few hours painstakingly puttng it all together. :)

 

All seems to work fine, but because I didnt do a complete re-install of XP and just put the HD in from the shuttle & let it re-detect everything - XP hasnt installed the correct HAL and now only shows a single CPU to windows, even though it knows there are 2 cores there.

 

So what I'll have to do this evening is a repair install of XP over the top of current system to see if it will fix the HAL (HAL - Harware Abstraction Layer for all the noobs!)

 

Fingers crossed that works, or I'll have to do a complete fresh install.

Posted
ya i also think you really should do a new install(i guess) because you have a new chipset...(if it is called so)

 

and this also causes problem such as yours in my opinion

 

I swapped mine a while ago form AMD to Intel with absolutely no problems at all. I think you just have to be lucky.

Posted

As promised, some pics of my new stuff. (Click images to enlarge.)

 

1st off the motherboard - Asus P5N-D - 750i Chipset - nice big heatsink in the middle!

 

mobo.jpg

 

The 'large' memory with the 'large' heatsinks on it!

 

memory.jpg

 

The assembled parts before power up.... eek!

 

assembled.jpg

 

Installed in its new place next to my desk.

 

installed.jpg

 

My new desk layout - Left side = Internet - Right Side = Gaming

 

mydesk.jpg

Posted
You've got too much ****ing money!

Not at all, I could always do with more! :)

 

None of my stuff is 'high end' - its all middle of the road performance parts, which I've done my research on and all fit well together.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...